Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2017

Hiring a Birth Photographer &/or Videographer

Capturing my birth stories in pictures has always been something that is a huge deal to me. Those are moments that you never forget and want to have to look back on and share with your children. I wish that I had pictures of my moms labor with me (obviously not twat shots but the process of before and after). The genuinely raw moments of bringing a baby into the world is the most magical moment a person could experience. I think it's such a beautiful thing. In fact, birth photography is some of my very favorite images. It's a priceless miracle captured as it's happening. I had a professional photographer at all of my births and I,of course, plan to have one at this birth too. However, I GREATLY regret not having my births on video. I don't know what I was thinking. I knew that this time I would capture those moments on video no matter what. I had searched all over the area for a birth videographer that was 'good enough'. Someone to create a classy mini movie to music of our labor and birth. I've seen so many of these online and I'm absolutely in love with them. It was harder than I expected to find someone though. I had almost given up and decided to record it on my own camera with the help of a tripod and members of my birth team. I have an amazing camera but with having a new baby I honestly didn't want to have to deal with the editing process myself so I continued my search. Finally I came across a video on Pinterest of a beautiful birth story. One thing led to another and it turns out that the creator of that video is someone local to the town that I will be birthing in. Her name is Angelina Lopez. Some would have been taken back by her prices but I was dead set on using her prior to getting her price list so I didn't think twice. I paid the $600 deposit (20% of the total fee) the same day that I found her. I'm so incredibly trilled about this. It's a dream come true for me. We will be recording us as a family of 5 doing rainbow crafts and baking as we wait for baby #4 to arrive, the labor, the birth, the moment we find out the sex, and the moments after birth when everyone meets baby for the first time. 
My advice to expecting moms is that if you're anything like me and want these priceless moments caught on camera, don't forget to consider having someone record the birth. It's my biggest regret. Also if you're very passionate about having your birth professionally recorded, hire a videographer. Most of them let you pay out the fee in payments throughout the pregnancy and not all are expensive. When searching for a photographer or videographer REVIEW THEIR PREVIOUS WORK. This is my number one piece of advice. Their portfolio is key to what kind of quality you will be getting. Also ask for references and turn around guarantees. Make sure that they stay true to the time that they promise in their turn around. Past clients will be able to tell you this. You can even request a legal contract stating that you will recieve blank amount of pictures by blank days past birth. Do your research. Not all photographers style will be your taste. I am very picky about photography so seeing their work confirms for me if we could or couldn't be a match. Have a meeting face to face with your potential photographer before you pay any deposits or settle on that person. Make sure that they are a) a real person, b) professional and reputable, and c) someone that you get along with. After all you will be inimately sharing a very large part of your life with them.
 My births were all different. My first two were a breeze and my last one was hell. All 3 were between 6-13 hours long. They weren't some fairytale brag worthy, record time breaking labors but you know what, they were PERFECT and I'm so thankful to have them to look back on through photography. 
I highly recommend that everyone atleast considers it even if you are a private person. You won't ever regret having those moments on film because you can never share them if you hate them but you could definitely regret not being able to get those moments back through film. 

Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram