Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

A Change In Plans...

All along we have known that we would use the same contractor that did our add on to build our new house. We have a history with him and we were pleased with his work. We never really considered anything else even if it meant paying more money to use him. We didn't get bids or anything. We just gave him our budget and must haves. He made it happen in a smaller form. 
However, after my dads awful health scare once he woke up from a coma and was taken off of the vent he kept telling me all of the ways that he'd build our house. Apparently while he was awake but unable to talk because of the vent he had thought a lot about the new house. Mind you that my dad isn't a builder. His dad was so he's worked with him and has some experience but that's not what he does for a living. He is a part owner for a large industrial electrical company and he does all of the contracting for their jobs. They build casinos, hospitals, power plants, ect. Large jobs. Their primary way of winning the bids to do the electric in those businesses is to save the owners money during the build as well as long term with energy efficient details. Longer story short I am so dang excited to say that my daddy will be contracting our home. Not only is he going to get us a bigger home built for less money but he is also doing things with the electric that will cut our heating and air bill down by 75%. He is having our walk out basement made entirely out of concrete and hurricane grade windows so it will be a huge storm shelter. How safe and amazing is that?! He's going to use the builders that his business uses so not only will our home not be your typical home because it's being built by people who build giant buildings that the main goal is to save money and energy but it also will have my dads hand in every single part of it. This journey was already super exciting but walking it along side my 2 heros (Brian & Dad) will be the neatest thing ever. He's already started to redraw our floor plans for a bigger home. The outside will look exactly the same as the original plan aside from log siding. We can't decide now on what we will do. I've seen a few things that I like more. The layout on the inside will be similar to our original floor plans but every room will be bigger and we will have more closet space. We've also moved our laundry room to our master closet and added another bedroom so the 'play room' down stairs will be a 2nd living area with a kitchenette in it. I'm having him try to figure in where we could put a theater room too which I'm probably the most excited about ha. I've always wanted one. We have movie nights weekly and as the kids grow they will absolutely love having that space with their friends. Momma will be able to keep a close eye on them but they will have a LITTLE privacy. (Security cameras in there is a little privacy, right?) 
We aren't allowing TV's or computers in our kids rooms. That will be something that I never allow. Ever! So it's important to me that they have access to those things in a open area where they can't retreat to their rooms away from all of us to mess with technology or electronics. If they want to watch TV or get online they will have to do it in a room together or a room that's easy for me to monitor them. Kids don't need that kind of seclusion and privacy. They need to be engaged with family. Hell, even toddlers these days are handed an iPad and sent on their merry way to babysit themselves. It's ridiculous. Wow. That's a whole nother rant/post. We won't go there right now ha. My thoughts on the way kids are raised today is definitely not popular and I feel strongly about it. 
Anyways, back to the new change in plans. A big house wasn't anything that I cared about. I wanted each kid to have their own room to sleep in but size didn't matter as long as a bed fit in it. I wanted an open living room, dining, and kitchen with tall a frame windows and a fireplace. Didn't care how big those areas were either though. I wanted 2 double vanity bathrooms because let's face it we need it as a large growing family. Brian wanted a mud room. That's really it. We aren't extravagant people. We don't care how big a persons home is or what they drive. We like having nice, clean things sure but we could care less about the size or the fancy details. We never once considered using a cheaper contractor to get a bigger house because that didn't matter to us. However, I'm excited about all of my dads new plans for our home. I'm excited to get things that I didn't consider having before. This home will be our home forever. It will not only be where we raise 4-5 children but it will also be where our children bring their own families when they are grown. The extra space will be much appreciated. Especially when you have a family as big as ours. I'm soooo happy to be doing this with my dad. We sat and talked house plans for hours yesterday. He was so fired up and has a sparkle in his eyes when he talks about it. I can tell that this has helped motivate him to get better. What more could a daddy's girl ask for?! 
Our home is will be breaking ground in January and as long as baby doesn't come early we will be moved in before he or she is born. 

Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram