It’s World Breastfeeding Week and that just gives me another good reason to post on this topic. If you know me at all you know that I’m passionate about breastfeeding. I’m a huge advocate for not only nursing in general but also women’s rights to nurse ANYWHERE covered or uncovered without pause or judgement. As a wife and a mom, i want my children and husband to live in a world that doesn’t think anything of seeing a woman breastfeed. As a woman, i want to live in a world where moms do not ever have a reason to hesitate to feed their child in public. I do not mind any whatsoever to offend people in my journey to help normalize breastfeeding. Like, i could literally care less if it bothers someone. I do not second guess posting about it and that took me 4 children and many years to say. I’m passionate about this because I’ve lived with deep regrets triggered by the shameful side of nursing. I used to hide and nurse. I gave up nursing my oldest for the sole reason that it was very inconvenient to nurse her in public so i introduced a bottle which in return led to her rejecting my breast. I also had issues responding to a pump so eventually my supply ran out with her. I see it daily. Moms wrestling a hysterical baby as they try to find a way to hide to feed the baby. Babies in distress as their mom frantically tries to either cover up or find a SANITARY private place to feed. The judgement is so real and probably one of the most hypocritical and bigot things ever. We are exposed daily to under dressed women whether that be in person, on commercials, billboards, magazines, Facebook, etc. Society over exposes more and more by the day which in returns has become more acceptable. Yet breastfeeding is so offensive? Feeding a hungry baby the way that we were created to do so is something to be ashamed of? Don’t like it, L O O K A W A Y! Don’t want your kids to see it, distract them or GOD FORBID explain to them what breasts are actually for. Worried about your husband seeing it? Why? Why would you be insecure about your man seeing a milk engorged boob? Why would you be insecure about him seeing a boob, period? I’m 110% confident that Brian would literally look away so fast that his head might pop off of his shoulders and he’d never give it another thought. Men, are you embarrassed or uncomfortable seeing a women nurse her child? Why? Don’t your see tits regularly? In low cut shirts walking through a store, on a sign near your work, on your social media newsfeed, or in your bed? Boobs are all over the internet and on any type of advertising method that there is out there. It’s not like nursing moms flop both boobs out and chill with their nipples fully exposed. The baby’s head almost always covers the breast and to be frank, typical swimsuits or low cut blouses show more boob than nursing does. I urge all of you to be apart of normalizing breastfeeding whether that be by doing it and advocating for it or that be by simply looking away with respect when you see it. Dare i say even shoot a nursing mom and smile when you see her struggling. It means the world to us. Raise your children to be a generation that normalizes nursing as well. We are the change. We raise the change. We lead the change.
My next post will be breast milk and feeding facts. I do not do enough posts about the proven benefits of this topic. It’s not just about boob feeding or bond building. Though that’s one of the biggest part that drove me to nurse it’s just a small factor in the over all picture. Stay tuned.
Nurse On!
Post a Comment