You all know how passionate i am about this topic. If there was a demand or market for lactation consultants or doulas in my area, there’s a huge chance that I’d pursue it as a part time career. I love all things pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding. I truly feel sad for those who don’t get to experience it as i have. Unless you’ve done it and made it, you can’t fully understand the value in it or why it’s so special. To me, it’s an extension of pregnancy. The physical bond as well as nutritionally supporting your baby. We each have our own specific reasons for nursing. Whether it’s a bond thing, a financial thing, an empowerment thing, a nutritional thing, a keeping my baby a baby thing, or all of the above — we are driven by personal reasons. However, here is some information about breastfeeding that might help some of you consider sticking it out or at least giving it a try.
The World Health Organization recommends that:
— Mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
— Infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health, and thereafter, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods, while continuing to be breastfed.
— Breastfeeding should continue for up to two years or beyond.
Breast milk is the ideal food for newborns and infants. It gives infants all the nutrients they need for healthy development. It is safe and contains antibodies that help protect infants from common childhood illnesses such as diarrhea and pneumonia, the two primary causes of child mortality worldwide. Breast milk is readily available and affordable, which helps to ensure that infants get adequate nutrition.
Breastfeeding is one of the most effective ways to ensure child health and survival.
If breastfeeding were scaled up to near universal levels, about 820 000 child lives would be saved every year. Globally, only 40% of infants under six months of age are exclusively breastfed.
Exclusive breastfeeding reduces risks of breast and ovarian cancer, type II diabetes, and postpartum depression.
Beyond the immediate benefits for children, breastfeeding contributes to a lifetime of good health. Adolescents and adults who were breastfed as babies are less likely to be overweight or obese. They are less likely to have type-II diabetes and perform better in intelligence tests.
The long-term benefits of breastfeeding for mothers and children cannot be replicated with infant formula. When formula is not properly prepared, there are risks arising from the use of unsafe water and unsterilized equipment or the potential presence of bacteria in powdered formula. Malnutrition can result from over-diluting formula to "stretch" supplies.
Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for infants. It has a nearly perfect mix of vitamins, protein, and fat — everything your baby needs to grow. And it's all provided in a form more easily digested than infant formula.
Breast milk contains antibodies that help your baby fight off viruses and bacteria.
Breastfeeding lowers your baby's risk of having asthma or allergies.
Babies who are breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months, without any formula, have fewer ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and bouts of diarrhea. They also have fewer hospitalizations and trips to the doctor.
Breastfeeding has been linked to higher IQ scores in later childhood in some studies.
The physical closeness, skin-to-skin touching, and eye contact all help your baby bond with you and feel secure.
Breastfed infants are more likely to gain the right amount of weight as they grow rather than become overweight children.
The AAP says breastfeeding also plays a role in the prevention of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).
Breastfeeding burns extra calories, so it can help you lose pregnancy weight faster.
It releases the hormone oxytocin, which helps your uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size and may reduce uterine bleeding after birth.
Since you don't have to buy and measure formula, sterilize nipples, or warm bottles, it saves you time and money.
It also gives you regular time to relax with your baby as you bond. This was huge for me as a mom of 4. While baby slept i was able to get in the one on one time with my bigs but when baby ate, that was our time and ONLY our time. No one else could feed her but me.
If you are curious about anything breastfeeding related, I’m happy to help. I get asked the most about my methods for modestly nursing in public without covering the baby’s head and how to stick it out when it gets hard. If you want to comment below or shoot me an email, i will do a post answering all of your questions.
**These facts were found online at credible resources including WHO, AAP, CDC, ect. If you’re curious about a specific fact or backing/research study on it you can find the details by a simple google search.
These are also some of the reasons that I’m open about nursing. It’s so common to have struggles in this area. It’s my goal to help however i can.
Love this! I wasn’t able to nurse my oldest but I’m determined to nurse my baby that’s due next month. I have a lot of questions lol. What’s the best position for big boobed girls? How often do you nurse? What if the baby spits up a lot? How do i know if I have an under supply or don’t make enough milk? What if I get sores on my nipples or a blocked duct? Do I still breast feed even if I’m sick? What’s the best nursing cover? What gave you confidence to nurse uncovered? Are there any places that you find inappropriate to nurse? Sorry for all of the questions. If I think of more could I contact you? Keep it up and thank you for being an inspiration to me!
ReplyDelete