Search This Blog

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Giving to Your Spouse

Brian and I are both big believers in taking time to do things that we enjoy. He goes gigging with his buddies a few times a week and I go out to dinner and a movie with my girl friends when I feel like getting away. Our lives revolve around our babies, each other, making ends meet, cheer 3 times a week, church twice a week, working with the cows 7 days a week, birthday parties and family get togethers just about every weekend, ect which frankly can get super stressful. It's nice to just step back and take time away. Whether that's date night or a friends night, we both appreciate the break. A few years ago I went to Pensacola Beach, FL for 4 days with my best friend. We had a blast and will definitely be doing it again when Eilee is not nursing anymore except we are going to NYC next time. It was a gift from Brian to me because he thought that I deserved some 'me time'. A year after that Brian went to the mountains for a few days to hunt with some buddies. He had such a great time. They hiked into the middle of the mountains and set up tents. No water. No electric. No roads. Nothing. Sounds like insanity to me but my mountain man of a husband had a ball. I knew then that I wanted him to have another vacation like that but didn't know when the timing would agree. At that point we had chicken houses so making plans in advance was nearly impossible. Once we sold our farm I new that the chance would come soon for Brian to go off with his friends. I saved money from doing hair on the side to pay his way for another guys trip and on our anniversary I told him that he was going Elk hunting in Colorado with 4 of his closest friends this October. It'll be the longest that we've ever been apart in over 9 years and it'll be the longest that the kids have went without seeing their daddy so I'm nervous about that but I'm SO excited for Brian to have this opportunity. He's tried to back out a few times because he's worried about leaving us home alone for 8 days but there's no way that I'm letting him back out. This is nothing compared to what he deserves for all of the years working every single day to support us or for all that he does for us in general. No amount of money or trips can thank him enough for that. No one deserves a opportunity like this more than he does and it makes my heart extremely happy to do this for him. I pray that he kills an elk but if not I pray that he has the time of his life. I can't wait to see his face as he tells me all of the stories from his adventure. I'm not going to share exactly when he will be gone for safety reasons but I will say that soon we are going to enjoy a huge shopping trip to Bass Pro to load up on all of his hunting needs ha. I swear he's like a kid when it comes to this stuff and seeing him so excited is like seeing my own children happy. It's one of the most fulfilling feelings that a soul can feel. 
Y'all do things for each other, always. Even when you don't like each other out pride aside and do things for one another. I'm not just talking about surprise trips or fun dates. I'm talking little love notes, making their favorite dessert when they've had a bad day, coming home early from work to check on them when you know they aren't feeling well, giving the kids a bath because your spouse is busy cleaning up the kitchen from dinner, pack their lunches for them so they won't have to leave work jus to eat, put gas in their car so they don't have to, set up surprise pedicure appointments for your wife when it's been a rough week, buy her her favorite candle 'just because', lay his clothes out for him so he can sleep in 10 extra minutes, make sure your home is a clean and cozy atmosphere for him or her when they get home from a long day at work, do things for no reason what so ever other than simply because you love them and appreciate them. Brian and I don't believe in gender roles. Sometimes he gives baths, makes dinner, starts laundry, helps the kids with homework, pays bills, ect. Sometimes I change the oil in our vehicles, take the trash out, wash the cows, mow the yard, ect. We both know how hard each other works and that some days one of us simply can't get it all done so the other must step in to help. We are at a stage in life where perfection isn't expected and fights hardly ever happen. We are so focused on raising 4 children, working, extra curricular activities, school events, paying bills, maintaining a schedule of holidays, birthdays, weddings, ect that we honestly just don't have time to fight ha. But really, after 9 years you know someone so well that you don't have much to disagree on. I know how he feels about literally everything and what his response will be and vise versa. Our marriage is in a stage of true contentment. Brian is my heart and I'm his. Not having to add stress of an unsteady marriage is a gift when life is already so chaotic. However, this point for us took a lot of time and tears. It took a lot of give and take. It took fights, nights apart, cuss words, heart ache, and disagreements. It took hitting rock bottom and realizing that we were worth fighting hard for. It's extremely hard but once you hit your place of pure peace, it's so so worth it and that place is reached by always doing things for one another. Always keeping each other a top priority. And always remembering why you fell in love. Don't give up. Marriage and staying in love is a choice. I wanted to give up many, many times but now I can honestly say that my life would be miserable if I had quit. Thank God that Brian is stubborn and wouldn't ever let me go. I'll spend my life making it up to him. 


 

Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram