Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Years Traditions & Resolutions / A 2016 Recap

Every year I make a handful of resolutions and like most people every year it's hit and miss on which ones that I achieve. Usually my resolutions are health and spiritual related. Lose weight, eat better, spend more time daily in God's word, ect. This year however my resolutions are a little different. 
I still want to increase my general health and spiritual growth but I also have a lot that I want to accomplish in other areas. 
I want to commit to not accumulating extra stuff. I have a natural tendency to hold on to things for emotional reasons. Toys, clothes, a napkin that my kids colored on, ect. I can be a major hoarder sometimes. My biggest goal this year is to take our fresh start and stick to it. No more saving things just incase I might need or want them someday. 
I want to breastfeed for atleast a year. I breastfed my babies but I never made it to the year mark. I regret that. I love the bond that nursing gives you with your baby. Those moments are priceless. It's important to me to achieve that goal. 
I want to get my cosmetology hours transferred from Arkansas to Oklahoma and take my boards before the baby is born so that I'm licensed and ready to work once the baby is older. I'm going to work a few hours a week to build my clientele so that I can have a head start when the baby starts school and I go to work full time. 
Lastly, I want to go out of my way to get our families together even more. Time together is precious. It's the most important thing. My goal is to have more family functions with all of us. Not just on birthdays and holidays. 

New Years Traditions:
Every New Years Eve we go to my parents house. Most of the family is there. We play cards, watch the ball drop, eat, and drink. It's fun and kid friendly. Last night we played a game called Cards Against Humanity and oh my lanta I laughed until I cried and peed my pants. It was hours of non stop laughing. Wouldn't have NYE any other way. 

New Years Day we always go to my mother in laws house and eat hog jowl, black eyed peas, Mac and cheese, and fried potatoes. Oddly enough I remember eating this at her house when I was a kid and she baby sat my brother and I ha. Fate is real y'all. 

Our year in a brief recap:
We became foster parents to 2 amazing little boys. 
We watched those boys reunify with their mom after she spent months working her butt off to get her babies back. Now a year later her case is closed and she's thriving. We still see the boys regularly. Our foster parent experience was rare but absolutely perfect. We gained a forever family. 
After 11 years Brian decided that he did not want to be a chicken farmer anymore. We listed our farm and home for sale. With in a few months we accepted an offer and had a contract on it. Because the buyers are going through FSA to get their loan it's been a slow process. We've hit a million bumps in the road. It's been very stressful and frustrating. We can not wait to close and be done with this. We requested an extension on our closing because of my dad getting sick and the holidays but now they've pushed our closing date back again because the abstract isn't done. They say that it'll be done this coming week but I've learned not to hold my breath in these cases. 
Our daughters started school. They are in separate classes but they love it. They've made a lot of new friends and have found their place apart from one another. They are learning so much.
Hudson has grown up a lot. He talks super well and has almost caught up to Char in height. He's enjoying being the baby and getting all of this extra alone time. 
We almost lost my dad this year. It was by far the worst 4 weeks of my life while he was in ICU. I truly can't thank God enough for keeping dad here with us. He is the heart of our family and of my life. 
I made a huge choice and had weight loss surgery. Best choice I've ever made health wise. It's changed my life and I'm not even 6 months post op. I've lost 85 lbs and I'm 25 lbs from my goal. My relationship with food has drastically changed. I cherish what goes into my body because I can only eat very little. Healthy and full of protein is all that makes the cut. 
Two weeks before my dad got sick we found out that we are pregnant with our rainbow baby. That moment when I took the test was more thrilling than I can explain. To have a healthy baby growing inside of me is a miracle. I am still losing weight but it's totally safe since I'm not under weight. This is the lightest I've ever been going into a pregnancy and I'm committed fully to remaining healthy throughout the entire pregnancy. I'm not going to waste my weight loss journey. 

This year has been a blend of the hardest times of my life and the best times of my life. I can't wait to see what 2017 has in store for us. I have a strong feeling that it's going to be an incredible year. 
New house. New baby. New health. New outlook on life. New goals. New lifestyle. New trips. New us. 




Happy New Year from Us to You. May it be the best one yet! 

Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram