

So I was always one of those people who swore they'd NEVER use cloth diapers. I mean, ew! It just sounded so gross and like it was way too much work on top of raising young children. As a family of 5 (part time family of 7) you can imagine how much laundry we go through. It just didn't ever sound appeasing to me so I didn't use cloth diapers at all with my daughters. It wasn't until a friend of mine added me to a local mom group based around cloth diapering that I really started to see the benefits of going cloth. From being easier on babies skin to saving a ton of money. Suddenly I found myself browsing all of the adorable diapers online however I felt super lost. There's so many styles and brands to pick from. I bought several different kinds when I first started to see what worked best for me. I'm going to address this as quickly and simply as possible to save you the brain overload that I felt when I started.
I ultimately found that pocket diapers with charcoal bamboo inserts were my personal preference. I like hemp inserts too. If you're wanting a thinner insert that absorbs more than microfiber, hemp is the way to go. Charcoal inserts are thicker than hemp or microfiber which some people aren't a fan of. Microfiber inserts and all in one diapers leaked really bad for us. Flats were a lot of extra work. Prefolds don't come with covers so you have to buy them separately. As far as brands go I'll be 'that mom' who says that I loved the cheapies and I loved the expensive ones equally. For me which inserts I used made the biggest difference.
From a women who said 'never' and really meant it at one time, I must say that I love using cloth. Poop is poop. You handle it no matter what type of diapers that you use. Cloth isn't hard at all and I wish that I had went cloth much sooner. It would of saved us thousands of dollars. If you're considering using cloth diapers on your child but aren't sure about it or feel lost like I did, feel free to contact me. I am happy to answer all of your questions and hopefully make this experience easier for you.

Money saving & soooo cute π



This post is my own personal opinions/experience on using cloth diapers. Only you can decide what will work best for your family. I'm going to insert another helpful link here that's more in depth than I got ππ»
Cloth diaper care:
Everyone washes their diapers differently but here is how I wash mine:
•I rinse the dirty diaper off into the toilet then strip the insert out.
•I place the insert and the cover separately into a diaper pail or wet bag.
•When I have a good sized load of dirty diapers (which is typically every other day) I wash the load in the washing machine.
Note: You don't want to wash your diapers with other laundry. Wash them alone.
•I pre wash the load with hot water and detergent.
•Then I wash the same load with hot water/cold rinse using Tide and 1/2 a cup of baking soda.
They market detergents for cloth diapers but I've personally found that Tide gets them much cleaner.
•Once they're done washing I hang them up in my laundry room to dry.
•When they are dry I stuff the inserts into the pockets.
For diapers or inserts that are stained I sun bleach them. Yes, this really works. You just place the stained cloth in a place that has strong sun exposure for a day or 2. Works like a charm.
Warning:
Avoid fabric softeners and bleach. They will make the inserts less absorbent and break down the fibers which causes them to deteriorate. You also want to avoid hard water or detergents that have high acidity/ alkalinity. You can purchase water testers at your local Lowe's.
Post a Comment