Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

What’s in my diaper bag + a quick 30 week pregnancy update



As a mom of soon to be five, the contents of my diaper bag for a newborn has changed over time. I used to over pack dramatically which isn’t always a bad thing but for the most part it was NOT convenient. It made the bag heavier and the more stuff that was in my bag, the harder that it was to find things quickly no matter how organized the bag was. Now I stick to my ‘musts’ and for us, these are those items:

Travel sized grooming/care kit! Mini baby soap, lotion, diaper rash cream, nail clippers, gripe water, ect. I keep those things in an easy to access Harry Potter pouch. Personally we love Dr. Bronner’s unscented Baby soap, babyganics, mama earth, or young living seedling. 

Diaper and wipes! I cloth diaper for the most part but with newborns sometimes even ‘newborn sized’ cloth diapers do not fit well so I am packing both disposables and cloth. We love thirsties, g diapers, bum genius, happy flute, Alva Baby, and rumparooz for cloth and bambo nature or target brand for disposables. Bambo is absorbent, eco friendly/biodegradable, and natural based. Target brand is unscented and unbleached. Pampers also makes a pure line now that I’ve used as a back up since the other two brands aren’t able to be purchased locally for us. I’m not a fan of Hello Bello or the Honest company. I personally think that they aren’t good quality (I tried them with my youngest and they either turned soggy super fast or leaked immediately). I also think that their holistic ways are a marketing ploy to make them more money. I just have a hard time supporting either company. In fact, some of the honest company’s products do contain chemicals and have been recalled multiple times. They are green washed. For wipes I stick to water wipes or 7th generation. 

Sleepers/outfits: With Granger being due in December I packed several sleepers and cozy outfits. L’oved Baby, Kate Quinn, Mac & Moon, Carter’s, H & M, ect are my personal favorite places to shop for baby clothes. Comfort is key when you have a newborn and in winter due/born baby cases, warmth is also a must. 

Jacket! He can’t wear it in his car seat for safety reasons so I packed it instead. I melted over this cute Carter’s crochet coat and it was super inexpensive. 

Hats! Again, warmth and comfort so we went with cozy beanie type of hats. I got the hospital style hat on Etsy but he also has a cute Carhart beanie that Brian got him and a Slouch Wear pom hat that hasn’t arrived yet.

His coming home outfit: I ordered this from a sweet friend that owns Mama’s Wildflower Designs. You can find her on Facebook. It’s super soft waffle knit and jersey knit combo.


Socks, booties, & mitten! I got the socks and mittens at Walmart and Target. I got his Goumi booties online. I love this company because 10% of the proceeds go to help sex trafficking victims. I’m going to order a few more colors and sizes once I know how they fit. They are super soft and will be super warm added over socks. Perfect for cold weather. 

Burp rags & Bibs! I loooove the brand Copper Pearl and Keababies so some of these are from thoses places but I also got some stuff from a shop on Amazon called Parker Baby Co.




Nursing/car seat/cart cover! Another Copper Pearl purchase. I keep a cover over the car seat too but like having a back up just in case we aren’t near his car seat when he gets hungry. 

Baby wearing wrap! The light blue one is Keababies brand but my other personal favorites are Solly Baby and Boba. 


Not pictured:

a custom blanket that I ordered on Etsy. It will be apart of his birth announcement so I don’t want to share it now though. It’s so beautiful and perfect. It was one of those things that when I saw it I knew that it was a must! I’m also not showing some of the outfits that I packed so that a few special photos of baby aren’t in items that I’ve already shared with you guys. 

Swaddle blankets! I love the brand Aden & Anais. They recently released a Harry Potter line but my best friend told me not to buy the swaddle set of 3 so I listened ha. She’s gifting them to us so that will complete our diaper bag contents. 


Note that this bag was packed with a possible hospital transfer in mind but it is mostly just the typical contents for a infant’s diaper bag, period. For our home birth i want all of his items that I will need right away or that i want for Certain pictures to be in one easy to access spot. 



A Quick 30 week update: After my positive post about home birth and a smooth pregnancy, the devil in typical devil fashion began to attack us. I ended up at the hospital for preterm labor, clotty bleeding, dilation, and decreased fetal movement. After some testing, medication, and precautions we got everything under control. I’m dilated to a ‘stretchy 2’ which caused the bleeding/bloody show. I still contract regularly but they are not in a pattern and at this point haven’t dilated me any further. We aren’t sure why Granger’s activity has dropped so much but the stress tests and monitoring keeps coming back well. He has heart rate fluctuations twice in 20 minutes as he should. He responds to being buzzed at. He moves when we push on him. He’s just not as peppy as he has been. My fluid levels look good. Placenta placement is great. He’s measuring 3 weeks ahead via ultrasound and fundal height. My midwife told me a few days ago that as long as I carry him full term, even if I have multiple preterm scares, i can still deliver at home. Granted everything else is low risk, of course. It’s hard to believe that as long as I make it 6 more weeks, i can realistically have my dream birth. Three of my children were born in 4-5 weeks from this gestation which is overwhelming if i let myself think about it. No matter when he comes, we are getting close to meeting him and that blows my mind. It’s going by so dang fast. 

Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram