Search This Blog

Friday, July 6, 2018

Mountain Accent Wall — DIY



As i mentioned in a previous post, we are currently redoing the bedrooms in our house. We are putting a bunk bed in Andlee’s room (it’ll be here by July 16th)




Once it’s here and the big girls will be sleeping in the same room so we are moving Charlee’s room upstairs and moving Eilee’s room down stairs. I also completely changed the theme in Hudson’s room from the cowboy theme that he’s had since birth to a mountain/ adventurer/ woodland/ Alaska theme. I will do a room reveal once they are all complete but for now I’m going to do a tutorial on how i did the mountain wall in Hux’s room. It was super easy, cheap, and fast. It took me an hour of time and $30 in supplies. Keep in mind that these colors and the mountain layout were what worked for me. They can totally be modified to your desire. We started with all navy walls so in order to minimize the amount of painting that i would be doing i decided to keep the mountains navy and paint the ‘sky’ a warm grey simply adding white ‘snow’ on the peaks. 


Supplies needed:

A pint of grey paint

A pint of white paint

Painters tape

3 brushes (a 2” brush for the outline of the grey, a 1” brush to fill in the white, and a tiny 1/2” craft brush for the free hand outline of the white)

A small roller and foil pan for the grey (foil pans are cheaper than buying a roller pan and work just as great)



Steps to complete your wall:

  1. Tape off the corners and ceiling so that you don’t get any grey transfer onto your other walls. 
  2. Tape off the mountains. I wanted somewhat even mountains but not totally symmetrical ones. Mountains aren’t perfect, after all. I started in the middle of the wall — using the bedroom light as a guide. I did the biggest peak in the middle. From there i tried different layouts. You can’t mess this up. Go with whatever looks best to you. 

  3. Paint the outline of the grey against the walls, ceiling, and tape. 
  4. Fill in the grey with the roller. I did 2 coats. 

  5. After it’s dry remove the tape. 
  6. Paint the white/snow. I just free handed it because i didn’t want it to be perfect but you can tape it off and do it that way. You can see here that i didn’t like my original outline so i painted over the 2 smaller peaks. It’s your wall. Do it your way. 



I hope that this helps some of you get your crafty on. I had fun doing it and my son lost his mind when he saw it. He was so excited. His bedding and decor will just top it all off to complete the perfect little slice of Alaska in our home. I even ordered campfire pillows to sit in his corner under his evergreen tree ha. I was so thrilled when he asked for a ‘elk, moose, and bears’ room. If you follow me on Pinterest you know that for several years that’s been my nursery plan for our next baby boy. 


 I’ve been dying to use it as a theme but love the more neutral take on it verses the popular red plaid that i had planned for a boy’s nursery. I’m now on the hunt for a theme for baby boy #2 so if you have any cute ideas, send them my way. I’m leaning towards a vintage train theme since my father in law worked for the railroad for most of his adult life but I’m not set on that totally. Not that there’s any big rush. We will probably end up with another girl anyways ha. 



Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram