If you know me you know that I’m a lover of many things. Dogs, kids, photography, traveling, fashion, hair care, reading, writing, magic, Twilight, Harry Potter, unicorns, mermaids, dinosaurs, and so much more but anything mystical just takes the cake. I’m a fairytale loving, magical minded JUNKIE. Anything out of this world is my jam and seeing as dinos are extinct this obsession includes them. Since i was a little girl i was crazy about all of the Jurassic Park movies so when Jurassic World came out, mama was pumped. My oldest daughter is dinosaur crazy like me. My son is too but he’s not a tv watcher so the movies don’t intrigue him like they do the rest of us. My mom and i took Livie to watch the first one so when news broke that there would be a second one, i knew that we’d make it our own little tradition but include my big girls this time. Her and i had a Twilight tradition as well. We bought midnight showing tickets with each film and watched them together at the premieres. Anyways, this past week Jurassic World 2 came out and we went to see it. I’m going to do two parts to this post. The first review will be without any spoilers and the second part will go into details about why i feel the way that i do. That part will include spoilers so do not read past my warning on that part if you haven’t seen the film.
Here is my honest review without spoilers :
I sadly wasn’t as impressed as i thought that I’d be. The movie was good but it wasn’t amazing in my opinion. It was too scary for most children and i was glad that i didn’t take my 5 year old son. I’m not really a freak about what my kids see or hear. We cuss regularly and watch basic adult shows with them in and out. We are not Mary Poppins over here. However, I don’t do nudity. I don’t do a lot of gore. I don’t do over exaggerated murder or any types of rape. I don’t do scary monsters aside from those in Harry Potter ha. I just don’t do anything that i feel is obviously too much for a child’s mind to safely process. Kissing and cussing with ocassional blood shed is about the extent of what they see when it comes to shows that we watch if they’ll be around. There were scenes in JW2 that exceeded my comfort zone. It was brief which was good but just a little too much. Heads being eat off without a filter type of thing. My oldest daughter covered her face up a few times and said, “Oh my gosh, mom!”. My middle daughter cried on one specific scene. It was just over all not a movie that I’d recommend for children under 13ish. But in all fairness it’s not marketed to be a kids show. It just went a little farther than the first did so i didn’t feel concerned about that aspect going into it. I felt like i knew what to expect. Each parent is different. Some of you may think that I’m crazy and that it was exactly like the first one. This is just MY personal opinion. The story line also wasn’t what i expected. It was lower action for a dinosaur movie. Not to say that there wasn’t action — just not solid action like i expected. It didn’t flow super well. Everyone in our party of 5 felt the same as i and preferred the first movie over this one. The movie was funny though. I laughed multiple times. I enjoyed it over all and would have liked it more for a date night film but i still simply liked the first one better. Dud/let down are the main words that comes to mind in regards to my review on it.
DISCLAIMER: This part contains spoilers so exit now to avoid that.
I hated how they didn’t have Owen and Claire together. I was instantly let down by the fact that they had split up. That was strike one for me. Strike two was the fact that they were only on the island for like 15-20 minutes of the movie. I was expecting some action in the ‘natural’ habitat of the dinosaurs. Strike three was that during those 20 minutes hardly any of it was action in relation to the dinos. It was action, don’t get me wrong but it was more about running from the volcano rather than dino involved. It was also more depressing than anything. Strike four was the God awful scene where the long neck walks out onto the pier as they are pulling away. This is when my daughter cried. It was sad watching the long neck be left behind then die. The first movie had sad parts too but for some reason this one just was sadder. Strike five was the story line and how they played everything out with the dinosaurs spending nearly all of the film being in cages. Strike six was them killing the grandpa. Like, wtf? Strike seven was the overly creepy scene where the new dinosaur crawls into the little girls room. It felt like something from a horror film. Strike eight was them killing off the new dinosaur. I feel like he should have been the focus of a more action related third film.
I did love that the little girl ended up being a creation of her ‘mom’ and how she was created the same way that the dinosaurs were. That was neat. I loved that Owen and Claire ended up taking her. I loved that the ending was a set up for dinosaurs having free range in our world now rather than us being in their world. And most of all i LOVE THAT BLUE LIVED and was yet again, the hero.
Over all, i enjoyed the movie. It had perks and let downs. I’d watch it again at home but i wasn’t really impressed at any point. I’d recommend to give it a go for yourself because everyone has different tastes but i probably wouldn’t pay to see it again. The time spent with my loved ones was priceless though so you can’t beat that. It was a wonderful night out with them.
Post a Comment