As i became more and more of a veteran mom I found myself to be really natural based in the way that i parent. The term millennials use is ‘crunchy’ but old timers might refer to it as being a ‘hippy’. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll always love cosmetic products and I’m all about certain modern day luxuries. We do consume junk food and i don’t make my own deodorant (yet) but I am very into a lot of natural and authentic things. I don’t believe in circumcising or vaccinating. I use cloth diapers 95% of the time. I breastfeed. I grow my own garden. We harvest/raise and butcher our own meats. I use modern day medicine as a last resort. I make soaps out of my breast milk. We do detox baths regularly because the air is full of pollution and toxins. I make my own laundry soap and cleaning products. I made my own baby food before i did Baby led weaning. I buy products with the shortest amount of ingredients that don’t include words hard to pronounce. I keep it simple so that I’m more likely to know what we are putting into or onto our bodies. I could go on and on about my ‘crunchy’ ways but this post is specifically about essential oils/aromatherapy. I started getting into aromatherapy when i was pregnant with our oldest. I had all day sickness the entire pregnancy but i avoided taking medication for it. At that time my reasoning was the fear of taking something to hurt the Baby. After struggling for years with infertility i was basically terrified of everything and anything that could cause us to miscarry. I lived in a bubble as much as possible. I used peppermint oils to ease the nausea. It wasn’t until a month before she was born that i found that alcohol swabs also ease it. I swear by both methods and let’s face it when you’ve been pregnant as many times as i have, easing the pukey feeling is a must to survival. As time went on i found myself using oils for just about everything. Young Living is a popular brand and that is were i started my oil journey but I’ve definitely ventured to find brands that i love more. Two of my favorite EO brands are Eden’s Garden and Strixie. Strixie is locally made and Eden’s Garden is a small company as well. I’m all about supporting small businesses so the fact that i love their products so much is a huge plus. You can find Strixie on Etsy and Eden has a website. The shipping is fast and the products last so well. I recently ordered a shelf system to organize my oils and as soon as that’s all set up I’ll do a detailed post about it. I’ll also go through the specifics of our most used oils. My advice to newbies is to start small. Purchase a kit rather than separate oils. The Strixie kit is a wonderful place to start. I love that their products are roll on balms creates from Young Living oils. There’s so many things to cover in the oil world. Everyone’s taste is different and what i love, you may not. If you have an specific questions please message me. I’d be happy to help. I know that it can feel overwhelming at first.
Please keep in mind that EO’s are not considered safe for babies under 6 months old. There are many reasons for this. From sensitive skin issues to some oils such as peppermint and eucalyptus which contains the consitituent (1.8, cineole) that sometimes acts negatively on the temperature receptors of children’s lungs and causes slowed breathing. Research it for yourself for further education.
Post a Comment