Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Open House: K-4 & Kindergarten

Last night the Bigs had open house. They got to see their class rooms and Hudson got to meet his teacher. The girls already knew their teachers. They are both family friends and Charlee's teacher is actually our neighbor. Hudson did not know his teacher but my mom and Brian do. I'm so thankful for living in a small town and for the fact that we know basically everyone ha. It's a huge relief to be able to text my kids teachers whenever I want to to check on them. The kids loved their classrooms. They proudly gave their teachers all of their school supplies and a weeks worth of extra snacks that we bought for each class just in case some children weren't able to bring any. My mom, cousin, and cousin's wife are all teachers/interning to be a teacher so I know first hand the importance of helping teachers. As I've mentioned in my school supply shopping post we did not buy supplies for other children this year like we did last year because there are so many programs that provide supplies for those children. We wanted to spend our money in other ways to help people. Last year we bought extra snacks, paid kids lunch bills, got extras supplies for kids, paid for field trips for the whole class, adopted 3 children at Christmas time, ect. This year money is tighter plus we added another person to our family so I knew that we wouldn't be able to help as much as we have in the past. I was so excited to learn that ALL students lunches would be free this year. That's one donation that we won't need to make anymore and it's absolutely incredible for so many children. All of the programs for school supplies were a wonderful thing to see happening. They've had them in the past but they did things differently this year plus there were several programs added to help. Churches stepped up and funded supplies which helped a ton. We will still be asking each of the kids teachers after school has been going on a week or so if there's any students in their classes who need supplies though. The teachers can't really know the answer to that until after school has started and they are able to observe. Even after open house they'll have to sit down and go through what supplies were brought and by whom. Also some children wait until the first day of school to take supplies. Open house just doesn't give them a clear idea on who needs what do we will check back in later with that. Anyways, Hudson didn't miss a beat being in a new atmosphere. He acted like his normal onry self. I am very nervous about leaving him for the first time ever with someone other than our moms or my grandma. We wanted him to be in the same class as his cousin but were told that cousins can't be in the same class. Come to find out that was a lie which is very frustrating. I just pray that things go easy at drop offs. I can't handle it when they cry. It crushes me. I'm not worried about the girls really because they have a year of school under their belt. They love school and are such big girls about it. They love their new teachers and are pumped to meet new classmates. We on purpose kept our girls in separate classes last year as well as this year. We hope that they will never be in the same class. They are so reliant on each others company and friendship that I didn't want them to be used to being together even at school. I want them to make their own friends and have space from one another. I want to encourage them to be their own person and not lean on each other 24/7. 

All in all open house was a success and the Bigs are very excited for a new school year. I surprisingly didn't get emotional about school starting in 2 days but you'll have to stay tuned to see how I do on the actual first day ha. 


 

Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram