Search This Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Following Your Mom Gut

This morning our kids had their well visits and I knew going into it that I was going to demand that something be addressed with Andlee. It's something that I've expressed concern over since Andlee was an infant but our past pediatrician always blew me off. She would tell me that because her weight is proportional with her height that I shouldn't worry but I knew that something wasn't right. Annie would nurse until she threw up. She was never satisfied or full. It wasn't just about being over weight, she was/is genuinely starving constantly. She eats the same portions and foods that her siblings eat. She's just as active as they are. Yet she's much larger. I've always just known that something was causing it but I also had faith in our doctor so I tried not to worry. We even took it upon ourselves to see a dietician and change what we feed our kids but nothing helped. After 6 years of using a pediatrician in Tulsa (an hour and a half away from us) we recently switched doctors. We loved her and her staff for the most part but I didn't feel like she was trusting my intuition on things. She would answer my questions but not actually look into them to rule anything out. Today we saw our new doctor and we absolutely loved her. She was so throughout and took all of my concerns right to heart. She Immediately ordered lab work to be done on Andlee. She also told me that Annie has extremely poor vision in one eye and that in her profession opinion is dyslexic so she referred us to a specialist. Andlee is very hard of hearing which we have known since she was a baby but the previous doctor never told us that all of these symptoms could be linked. Now we know that there's a possibility of that and testing on it is under way. We go back in 2 weeks to get the lab results and to go over what the specialist says (we see him on Wednesday). I feel so relieved to have a doctor who got all of this done in one visit after spending years trying to get something done in the past. Of course as a mom you never want anything to be 'wrong' with your child but honestly for me to know what's up will be a blessing so that we can address it the way that it needs to be addressed. I want to get her any help that she needs and I want things to finally make sense to us all. 
I'm so proud of the kids. They handled the shots and appointment great which was super helpful to me because I took them by myself. Annie was such a stud. It took a few tries to get a vein when they drew her blood but she was a beast. She was intrigued by it and asked a million questions about how the needle was pulling her blood out and what they were doing. I kept trying to get her to look away and look at me but she refused ha. She wanted to watch. She's something else, that is for sure. 

My lesson, if you feel like something is off with your child and your doctor doesn't take you seriously switch doctors. Don't let that feeling slide by. Follow your mom gut. I regret not switching sooner but I was scared to search for new doctors. Sadly we have learned the hard way that a lot of them aren't good doctors at all. We got so lucky to find our new doctor. 
We haven't gotten Andlee's results back yet but even if I am wrong and things come back normal atleast I know the truth. Atleast I can stop worrying about it being a biological problem and go about addressing it a different way. Maybe it's physiological. I do not know but soon I will and that's wonderful. 


 

 

Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram