However, I will drop a few bits of advice to anyone who is trying to incorporate their children's taste with their own mature taste.

Andlee's Mermaid Themed Bedroom:
Hudson's Cowboy Themed Bedroom:
*He's been asking for a room with chickens in it so that is currently in the works. I'm going to do a rustic Alaska/homesteader type of theme with navy walls, a tin accent wall, and distressed wood pallet shelves. I'll include farm animals as well as wildlife like bear and moose. We will also be converting his bed to a full sized bed. I've been hesitant to do a lot of work on our house since we have multiple offers on it at this point but I've decided that everything will go with us when we move and it'll only take us a few hours to do the walls so no biggie.


Let your child pick a character or theme and base the room colors around that specific them. For example my oldest daughter wanted a Tinkerbell birthday party so I bought Tinkerbell plates and balloons but all of the other decor was floral, lace, and glitter. I tied a classy, garden party vibe into the Tinkerbell accents.
Go for an overall mature and classy feel for them room but add subtle character accents here and there. Throw pillows and pictures are a great way to do this.
Make sure it's something that can grow with the child. Use a base that can be easily changed/modified as your child grows. For example, don't paint Mickey Mouse all over the walls. Instead paint the walls neutral and add Mickey Mouse colors to the room with a few Mickey pillows or a Mickey bedspread. White walls, a red or yellow dresser, a black bed frame, and Mickey Mouse themed bedding.
Painting cheap picture frames the colors in your cartoon character theme is a wonderful way to keep it classy yet still stay on track with your children's choice in themes.
Storage! I get asked about this more than anything else. "How do you keep your house and kids rooms so clean?". The simple answer is storage. I have around 12 hidden storage areas throughout my home. It's so easy and quick for us to throw all of their stuff in the proper container. The kids are able to do it themselves when they clean their rooms.
*I could make a mile long post on tips for decorating and decluttering your home but I will save that for another day soon.
Now go on and enjoy your time decorating with your kiddos. Let them have a hand in it and make them feel involved throughout the whole process. They are more likely to take pride in their things if it's something that they have put a lot of effort into.
Charlee's Princess Themed Bedroom:

Andlee's Mermaid Themed Bedroom:

Hudson's Cowboy Themed Bedroom:

Our Gender Neutral Woodland Themed Nursery:


Post a Comment