Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2016

Birth Control: It's the Devil

As I'm currently going through so major hormonal issues I can't help but to think about my journey with birth control. I swear I'm allergic to it. Nothing ever works for me. I've tried the pill, the patch, the arm implant, the ring, and the shot. They all were torture for me. I either bled every single day the entire time that I was on them or I had every pregnancy symptom under the sun.  I have a major sensitivity to hormonal changes. When I ovulate or am on my period it's hell in itself so add hormonal birth control to the mix and I might as well be dead. Okay, not really but it's very hard for me to function. I get headaches, cramps, nausea, fatigue, sore breasts, mood swings, hot flashes, ect. On top of reacting badly to BC I also have a history of mini strokes and hemopledgic migraines. It's very scary for my family and I because I have facial paralysis and I'm unable to speak during those episodes but thankfully I can usually feel them coming on so I have an emergency medicine that helps to stop them. However, because of that I'm at a super high risk of having a full blown stroke when I'm on hormonal birth control. My Neurologist forbid me to take anything so I was stuck with very limited forms of birth control. My husband hates to wear condoms and he's wanted another baby for a while now so he could honestly care less about preventing pregnancy. We'll just say that he's not motivated at all to help the situation ha. Pulling out isn't effective enough in my opinion so that's out the door. Avoiding sex when I'm ovulating isn't effective enough either. My PMS symptoms and ovulating symptoms are too similar for me to trust which is which. That pretty much only left me with an old school diaphragm. When my OBGYN suggested this I laughed. It seemed so retro and awkward.
 (If you don't know what a diaphragm is, it's a little thing that you insert into your vagina before inner coarse. It blocks your cervix so that sperm is unable to get through.) 
Seems gross right? Actually it's not bad at all. It's quick and easy. It's comfortable if you get it properly sized. It's hormone free and cheap. It's long lasting and you only use it if you're going to have sex. It's easy to sanitize. When you are ready you can try to get pregnant instantly with it unlike other birth controls. There's also no increased risk of miscarriage or birth defects if you do get pregnant while you're on it. I wish that I had tried it way sooner. 
If you're like me and birth control makes life hard, definitely consider asking your doctor about a diaphragm.
 If your aren't like me and any birth control works great for you, you're a lucky dog ha.
 If you're looking for the perfect birth control and want to hear a personal experience on different ones here is my birth control reviews for you:
The patch, the ring, and the pill- They all gave me headaches and I gained a ton of weight on them. 
The arm implant- I bled every single day the entire 5 months that I had it in my arm. I was emotional and moody. I gained weight with it too. 
The shot- This thing should be outlawed. I lived a miserable hell for over a year because of this thing. With the shot, once you've gotten it it can stay in your system for 12-24 months. You can't get it out no matter what you do. I ended up being placed on hormonal therapy because I reacted so badly to it. I bled, I cramped, I had headaches, I sweat constantly, I gained 80 lbs, I was always nauseous, and I became depressed from always feeling like shit. I also ended up miscarrying our baby a year and half after I got the shot because the shot was still in my body. If you read about it everything that I experienced is very common. Some women can NEVER get pregnant again after they've been on the shot. Please don't do it. It might work well for some but the horror stories far outweigh the positive ones. You can see that for yourself if you do some rea search. 

Birth control is a drag sometimes but there is a perfect one out there for each of you. It only took me 26 years to find mine but hey, I'll take it because this momma doesn't want any more babies until she's 30 😉


Post a Comment

Life with the Lane’s Instagram