I just saw that the FDA deemed sleep nests in safe and it brought up the oh so familiar topic of Safe Sleeping with Infants. Is that even a thing? Seriously, everything is contradicting and rules are always changing. Babies should sleep on their backs so they don’t push their face into the mattress. No, on their bellies so they don’t spit up and choke on it. No, their sides so they won’t choke or suffocate on the mattress. No, on their sides they could roll onto their backs or bellies which is both risky. Sitting elevated is best. No, it’s not because some babies have had restricted air way issues sitting up and stopped breathing. Sleep nests/positioners are safe when not being used in a crib. No, they aren’t safe at all because they are no different than a pillow or crib bumper. Wait, certain brands are supposedly ‘breathable’ but off brands are not although they are marketed to be like the safety tested brands which is deceiving. Pillows, blankets, bumpers, co sleeping, are all big ‘no no’s. Basically there’s no totally safe sleeping arrangement when it comes to babies. Even with breathing monitors like Owlet don’t give us a complete peace of mind because you’re trusting an electronic to potentially save your kids life. What if it fails? What if it doesn’t work? You can’t ever relax as a parent with the endless fears and what ifs. It’s hard to be a mom. It’s hard to know what’s best sometimes. We all do what works for us and what we feel is the safest. I co sleep with Eilee and has since she was a week old. I kicked my husband out of our California king sized bed and got rid of my pillows. I sleep on a tight sheet without a blanket. This works for me because I’m hot natured and the baby just wears footed pajamas. She hates being covered up or swaddled so that’s nice (unless you’re trying to breastfeed in public then it’s a nip slip show ha). I feel like the never ending struggle as a mom is to know that you can do everything the ‘right way’ to someone but it could still fail you. Accidents could still happen. You could learn the hard way that your choice was wrong. I’ve had to learn things that way. I’ve had to learn to forgive myself for messing up after months of beating myself up. We are the hardest on ourselves but there’s no manual to fool proof parenting. Give yourself some grace and move on. Do research and make the choice that feels safest to you even if it’s not what’s easiest.
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
Post a Comment