Crying it out is something that is a typical topic in the land of motherhood. Most people are either big believer in it or you are strongly against it. I am one of those that is deeply against it when it comes to babies too young to verbally communicate. Crying is a baby's ONLY source of communication. Whether it's a belly ache, being hungry, or simply wanting held, they have a reason! Letting a baby cry without attempting to solve the issue or comfort the baby is straight up neglect. Babies are going to cry. My newest child is 3 weeks old and she has a awful temper. When she gets hungry sometimes she gets mad and will not nurse until she's done throwing a little fit. She's very stubborn and nothing that I do for those 60-90 seconds during her fuss soothes her or gets her to stop but you bet your sweet ass that I try to make it better. I don't just let her cry without trying to help her. Aside from having my personal opinion on it there's also research to support that it's not what's best. You can find a ton of studies online but this one is the one that puts the nail in the coffin for me on the subject. If you can read this and still believe in letting a baby cry it out then you should be slapped.
"Recent research conducted at the University of North Texas clearly reveals that the cortisol levels of babies left alone to CIO remain at unnaturally high levels even days after they learn to stop crying/cuing for help. However, the cortisol levels of mothers -- which register as abnormally high when their babies cry -- return to normal levels in the silence. At this point, mothers and babies are no longer biologically in sync. The mothers assume all is well; they interpret their babies’ silence as proof that their little ones have learned to self-soothe. Yet, physiologically babies can’t self-soothe. Rather, CIO teaches them to panic silently and detach from those whom nature intends for them to trust."
With that all being said, when my kids were old enough to talk and tell me what was wrong with them I let them throw fits over dumb stuff like me not letting them have ice cream for breakfast. I'm not that mom who never let's her kids cry. I'm just that mom that believes babies shouldn't ever be left neglected and alone to cry their problems out. Babies don't self soothe!!!! They just learn that no one is coming when they cry.
Post a Comment