This instinct is also why I kept pregnancy journals and private blogs. I love looking back on things and I love being organized. Not just lists and journaling either. I was writing short stories when I was a child and reading 'big girl' books like crazy. My mom saved a lot of my stories. It's pretty comical to read now that I'm grown and still writing. My niece and I just read one of my favorite childhood stories that I wrote. It was one about me riding on the back of a huge owl. We became best friends and he turned out to be my protector. He lived in a forest full of fairies and other owls. Fantasy was my favorite thing to write about and it still is to this day. My most recent story is about a mind reader and a small town girl from Maine. The mind reader constantly has dreams about this girl that he has never met. He ends up falling in love with her through his dreams and spends years searching for her. It's been a lot of fun to create such a passionate fantasy love story.
Anyways back to why I blog. I blog for my own personal pleasure. If my blogs help or encourages anyone along the way that's a major goal achieved but I do not blog because someone else blogs and I wanted to 'copy them'. I do not blog so that people know details about my life and think that I'm the shit. I do not blog because it's the cool thing to do. I do not blog to be a show off mom. I do not blog so people think that I have a perfect little life. I blog with complete transparency. I blog with no filter. I blog about my opinion on things even if it's not the popular opinion. I blog because I've blogged all of my life in one way or another. It makes me happy. It's fun to look back on. It's something to do in my down time. I could honestly care less about being like other moms or bloggers. There has been many times when I don't blog about something that I wanted to simply because someone else blogged about it before I was scheduled to post mine. There are times when I don't do certain things just because I don't want to be like someone else. I have altered and changed plans before to not conform to society. I have waited years to read a popular book series just because I HATE band wagoners and I refused to be one. I have changed or excluded baby names from our list because someone else used those names first and I don't want to be like anyone else. I have lied about things that my children had been doing for months and said that they couldn't do it yet just to shut up a competitive mom that was comparing her kid to mine. I have even changed our future home plans recently to keep our home from looking anything like anyone else's that we know. I am proud to be myself and I have zero desire to be anyone else. I have everything that I could possibly want and I count my blessings a million times a day. I do have things in common with other bloggers/moms but that is the extent of it. I don't change for anyone or do things just because some else did. We all blog for different reasons and for me I blog for myself. I don't care if no one but me ever reads my stuff. I enjoy blogging and I enjoy the simplicity of looking back on things that I've posted on the blog. My advice to moms who are considering starting a blog is this: Do it for you! Don't let anyone make you think that you just did it to be like them. Don't let anyone keep you from writing what you want to write even if it's disagreeing with their opinion on things. Don't let negative people make you doubt your choice in blogging. Be transparent. Write what you want to write. Don't worry about if it's the popular opinion. Understand that at times you and other bloggers WILL blog about similar stuff. That's just a given. Mom life has many topics and every other mom blogger in the world is going to touch on those topics at one point or another. They aren't copying you and you aren't copying them. Blogging is a wonderful tool and I think just about everyone should do it. In fact, I'm happy to aide you in any way that I can. I want to inspire my readers to find their inner writer. I want to hear what everyone has to say even if we don't agree on things. I find beauty in diversity.
Now go and blog my friends. Write your little hearts out. Email me your blog links so that I can follow you and feel free to ask me whatever you want to about starting a new blog.
It's me, anon from your empty nester post. I love reading your blog posts. To be honest it's nice to read about your life and what's new with you and reading your views on things. We seem to have similar views on things and are around the same age, live in the same area, our kids go to the same school. I swear I'm not a creeper, just an uncool mom with no life outside of wife/mom life. Keep blogging, no f***s given on if you cover a topic someone else has in the past. This is your space to express yourself, keep killing it ����
ReplyDeleteGirl we'd get along great ha. Thank you so much. I enjoy blogging a lot. You should definitely hit me up. I bet our kids would love a play date.
Delete