
A month ago my husband and I decided to take a huge step in life. We decided to sell and move out of the home that my husband has lived in for 11 years. We own a chicken farm that my husband built from the ground up. His entire adult life pretty much has focused around taking care of his million dollar farm. He gets up a 4:30-5:30 am 7 days a week, 10 months straight out of each year. He runs the feed at the farm and checks on all of our animals. We own live stock and horses as well. Then he goes to work 8 am-5 pm at the insurance office that his family owns. When he gets home he goes back to the chicken house and checks on things. He feeds the chickens again and fixes any mechanical break downs. Chickens are extremely temperamental. If you don't feed and water them a certain amount at certain times each day or if the temperature isn't just right in the chicken houses, you can have a lot of them die or not produce eggs. To say that it's like having a second family is a large understatement. It's overly demanding and stressful for my husband but also for my kids and I because our lives revolve around those chicken houses. It's our biggest source of income. It's our way of life. If anything goes wrong we are in huge trouble. I've told Brian for years, "Let's just sell the farm. It's not worth you always being this stressed out." but Brian has always said 'no' because this is his home that he's built all on his own. I completely understand and respect that. I'm so proud of him for achieving all of his accomplishments without needing anyone to help him or do it for him. I just hate to see him so stressed out. It kills me.
Anyways you can imagine my shock when he comes up to me one day and says, "I've spoken to a realtor about listing our farm. He's coming tomorrow to look at it and we will probably sign a contract with him so please be here.".
WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! I didn't think he was serious but he was dead serious. I won't lie, I cried at first because I've raised my babies in this house. I've put my touch on everything in here. My mom hand painted things in my children's rooms. It's just a special place to me. I love our home.
You can see pictures of it here ππ»
After getting that news from Brian I called my mom all choked up telling her what was going on and what my thoughts were. She said to me, "Cal, I can paint on the walls in your new house and your touches will be in every step in the making of that home.". My sadness instantly faded.
Brian and I started looking at land locally to buy. We want a lot of acreage to run cattle and horses on. We also want a running creek, ponds, and a beautiful view to build a house on. We found a few places and were content with that plan when one day I mouthed something about moving to Pensacola Beach, Florida. We vacation there a lot and absolutely love it. It's small and cozy yet there's a ton to do. The beaches are also stunning so it's just perfect in our opinion. Brian actually started to entertain that idea. Shock number 2 for me ha. We've both lived in our small Oklahoma town our entire lives. Our families are all here. Moving away would be a huge deal. I honestly don't know if I could leave my parents when it came down to it but it's still an option for us at this point. They can come and visit us any time and we'd still spend holidays here in OK.
We've done a lot of shopping online for homes in Florida and this is the home that we are leaning towards. Of course we want to see it in person and it sells before we are ready thankfully there are more just like it ☺️

I told Brian when we decided to sell that I thought no one would be interested in a chicken farm. I told him that it'd take us forever to sell it. He laughed at me π³
Apparently he was right because we've already had 8 different people come out to see it and as of yesterday we've had 3 offers total on it. Our first offer was the highest that couple could go but it was less than we were willing to go so they pulled out. Now we have two current offers from serious buyers. Things are happening so quickly.
(Shout to Dan at Twin Oaks Reality for working so hard to sell our place for us)
I'm trying not to get overly excited until we have a closing date and things are for sure happening but gosh I feel overwhelmed thinking about what happens next. Where do we go? Will we stay in our small town and build our dream home? Will be become beach bums and live a dream life in Florida? Will our marriage survive moving? Ha! Ugh, moving! Don't even get me started on the moving aspect of this. Our house is close to 3000 sq ft. There is ALOT of things in it. Packing it all up and moving it is going to be a night mare. We seriously might hire someone to do it for us π
I don't know what the future holds for our family but I do know that home is the people in it not the building or location so wherever we end up we will be thrilled because we will be together.
If anyone has any advice or tips feel free to contact me. I'm all ears!
Post a Comment